Thursday, January 7, 2016

Lip Chap - Recipe

I made lip chap over the holidays, and it's incredible! I've gotten many comments from people that it's the best they've ever used. It perfectly keeps lips moist and hydrated - it just feels amazing! I ordered all my supplies off amazon, and they don't cost much...I think the shea butter was most costly at $12 for 16oz...and using 1/2 an ounce at a time - it'll last me until I die?! Since a good (all natural) lip balm costs you anywhere from $3-$6 per tube, this recipe is definitely a money saver. I ordered 50 empty chapstick containers on amazon for $5. I haven't done all the math completely, but a rough estimate is that it costs about 20cents per tube to make. And it takes 10 minutes (of waiting on that beeswax to melt), and it's so easy! Never buying another lip balm again - because I have a lifetime of shea butter to use up:-)

I googled various recipes and there are many options to choose from. This is the one I settled on, and it's a real winner. I have no reason to try and change it up. I use my digital kitchen scale to measure the amounts.

1 oz organic beeswax
1.5 oz coconut oil (I used Trader Joes)
.5 oz raw unfiltered shea butter

Melt beeswax in double boiler - then add in the other two. stir until melted. Remove from heat and add essential oils - whatever you'd like, and probably 30 drops (which gives a very light scent). I did about 30 drops of Citrus Fresh, and it was light in scent/flavour. I made another half batch, and did about 6 each of Peppermint and Rosemary. These were very lightly scented - just barely detectable, so next time I'll do a little more. I was a bit worried of overdoing the peppermint, but I don't think that is much of a risk, now that I've tried it!

No comments:

Post a Comment